Subject: [Leica] Re: Northern Lights
From: Doug Herr <71247.3542@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 21:00:13 -0500

The best latitude for Northern Lights is about even with Fairbanks, Alaska.
 In late August and September there's enough dark at night to see the
lights.  At times they'll fill the sky and there I was with my widest lens
only a 35 (Summicron-R, on topic).

Only the higher-altitude lights can be photographed; these are the graceful
sheets of pale light that wave slowly in the cosmic wind.

The low-altitude stuff is something else entirely: wild spinning flashes of
every imaginable (and more) vibrant color. The shutter speeds required to
record an image are way too long to catch anything other than an indistinct
blur.  The low altitude lights are very rare; in my 6 summers in Denali
National Park I saw them only once, for about a half-hour of utterly
painful ecstasy.  Their beauty is too painful to watch, too amazing to not
watch.  If you happen to see the low-altitude lights forget the camera,
live in the moment for it is one that will change your perspective on life
forever.

Doug Herr
Sacramento