Subject: Re: [Leica] Definition of a Professional
From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 06:36:33 +0000

At 01:30 PM 23/2/99 EST, you wrote:
>I would suggest that the group decide the true definition of a PROFESSIONAL..
>
>Is it one that earns their livlihood with their photographic skills?
>Is is one that acts like a professional, whatever that means?
>Is it one that has earned the respect of the community through the quality os
>his/her work?
>Is it one that has learned the skills of the trade and can fit those skills
>into any or most assignments?
>Is it one that can work with a client to establish needs and be able to
>deliver?
>Is it one that has the highest business ethics?
>Is it one that has taken his/her knowledge beyond that of peers?
>Does the profession require advance education/journalist skills to qualify as
>professional?
>Is the title "Professional" something that is only as good as the job that
you
>have just completed?
>Is the title "Professional" something determined by the client?
>Is it all of these things, or what?
>
>Perhaps the statement below was taken out of context and, if so, please
accept
>my apology.  The way that I interpreted this statement is;  " I have decided
>that I am a professional and because of this I deserve to be treated as one."
>Is is like me saying that I am a brain surgeon and from now on you must refer
>to me as "Doctor."  I may not do too well on my surgery but that's ok I'm
>still a doctor.
>
>I would think that there is a lot of pressure being a Professional
>Photographer and you must constantly prove it not only to yourself but to
your
>client.  I would think that it would be extremely difficult to keep yourself
>"up" day-in and day-out.  Seven day work weeks are common arent't they?
>
>I think I would have a better chance at being a brain surgeon than a
>professional photographer!
>
>Doctor Bob Bedwell
>Cash Only/No Refunds

Bob

There appear to be two or three types of "professionals".

1. The type who earns a major part of their income from photography. This
can be an arbitrary "more than 50 percent of one's income."

2. The other type appears to be a loose term given to a person who handles
photo assignments for friends, family and other assortments of clientele.
This type might hold a primary job related or unrelated to the photo trade.
 That person can even be a millionaire who does not work. He provides his
skills during his spare time.  The people who use his services might call
him a professional.

3. There is a third type who are fondly called  "pro" because their work is
good.  This type is merely an amateur who has a knack for producing good
pictures.

In my view, only #1 is a professional.

Dan K.