Subject: RE: [Leica] Northern Lights for MITCH
From: Zeissler@aol.com
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 13:09:26 EST

In a message dated 2/22/99 11:23:20 PM Eastern Standard Time,
locke@straylight.ca writes:

>          You seldom see the Northern Lights (aurora boriealis) on the island
>  of Newfoundland... except on REALLY cold clear nights in the winter and on
>  the northern coast of the island.
>
>  They are VERY common in Labrador. But again, only in the winter.

We were camping just below L'Anse Aux Meadows in September about 7 years ago
when some other campers alerted us to the fact that the Lights were present
the prior evening; they had taken pictures and stayed up most of the night
watching them.  We tried to see them each evening for the rest of our trip,
but did not get the opportunity.

BTW, for those of you that have not camped in Canadian campgrounds, you're
missing a real treat.  We are not normally fond of campgrounds (we prefer
wilderness camping), but this one had 200+ slots with only a handful occupied.
AND it had a plush heated restroom/shower/laundry facility complete with
airlock style doors to keep the cold out.  Wow!

>  You are a brave man (or just don't know any better) if you want to visit
>  Labrador in Jan/Feb/Mar months.

Must not know any better.  :-)

We have property in Colorado at 11,400 feet of elevation; when we were last
there in September of '98, the temperature in the tent dropped to 26 degrees F
(not the coldest we've ever experienced).  Anyone interested in what it looks
like can see images and information that my wife posted at the following link:

http://members.aol.com/zeissler/

>  Although I have seen this many times, I have never photographed it.
>  ...just not my thing (photojournalists have little patience for such
things).

I'm still envious.

>  I suspect it would be much the same as shooting fireworks, lightning, or
>  comets...  time exposure on a tripod.  (I got the fireworks thing down
>  pretty good)

Yeah, fireworks are pretty easy.

>  Maybe our buddy Tim, in Yellowknife, has done the Lights.... if he has I
>  wish he would tell ME!!!  :^)

Perhaps they can be shared with all!

/Mitch