Subject: Re: [Leica] T400-CN v. "true" B&W -Reply
From: Christer Almqvist <chris@almqvist.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 17:49:09 +0000

snip

>Secondly, some negatives do seem quite flat and take some work to get
>a decent print from.  I have to split print a number to get the blacks right.
>
>Regards
>Gareth Jolly

snip

I agree.

The *new* Ilford XP2 Super (not the XP2 400) comes much closer to  true b&w
films than the Kodak T400-CN.

However, you *must* go to a high quality lab if you want excellent result.
And there the cost is at least double or thrice that which supermarket
charge. Make sure you go to a lab that is connected over telephone to (say)
Agfa and where the chemistry is tele-analyzed at the beginning of each
working day by a computer and where the chemicals are then brought up to
speed automatically by the computer in the developing machine and in line
with the analysis . Ask to see the equipment they use, ask how old it is,
ask how often the analyze the chemicals, ask who does the analysis, ask how
often they renew or reactivate the chemicals.

- --
christer almqvist
eichenstrasse 57, d-20255 hamburg, fon +49-40-407111 fax +49-40-4908440
14 rue de la hauteur, f-50590 regnéville-sur-mer, fon+fax +33-233 45 35 58