Subject: Re: [Leica] volunteer picture taking
From: Greg Locke <locke@straylight.ca>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 13:10:07 -0300

>So folks without sounding sour grapes and cold hearted, "I don't do
>volunteer" anymore, simply for the same reason Tina has stated...."Do you
>get a salary or get paid?"  Somebody in every non-profit organization gets
>paid and as long as their fund raising is "anchoured on photography" yours
>or others, they should pay for the best photographer/photography they can
>get.  Heck some of us would go for half our fee, at least it would offset
>some of the loss.

To add to Ted's words:

        Most "serious" aid/non-profit agencies will, at the very least,
offer an honorarium and provide logistics support.
        ICRC, UNHCR, MSF, Concern, Merlin, GOAL, Mennonite Central Committee
and a few others treat photographers very well.

        If you are a photographer working, visiting areas where they are
working they all will "take" photos from you. In exchange for use of photos
they all will provide logistical support and some sort of fee or honorarium.
I even had one agency supply me with film of my choice.

        NOW!  ...keep in mind that I was not going on assignment FOR these
agencies. I was working on other stories where these agencies were working
and we "struck a deal".  This is common with ex-pats working overseas. We
all tend to help each other and exchange "favours".

        The smaller or religious based agencies/non-profits are less
"enlightened" when it comes to communications operations.

        Like ALL working arrangements. Make sure you understand and agree to
the terms BEFORE you pack your bags.

As for shooting for friends and family...
Generally, I refuse. I will do it from time to time but I do not charge.
They say, "OH, we will pay for it". I just tell them they can't afford me.

I'll just save them the shock and obvious realization of naivety by not
telling them what they asked would cost.

HELL!  my dear, sweet parents still can't understand how I make a living.
"Greg, how can you make money taking pictures?"

...and when I told them about day rates, stock sales, syndication of news
photos and licensed usage agreements they just don't comprehend that "takin'
pictures" is that complicated.

One of the best lessons on professional photography I have ever given was to
my father. We were christmas shopping a few years ago (Business is #1 topic
with us) and as we where making our way around the shops and boutiques
downtown, I would point out sales posters, brochures, labels, various
packaging and tell him want went into making those pictures and how much the
photographer might have made for producing them.

I think it was this that FINALLY made him realize how much of a role
photography plays in our day to day lives and that, indeed, it could be a
very lucrative business.

cheers,

Greg Locke                           E-Mail: locke@straylight.ca
St. John's, Newfoundland             Tel: 709-576-2297
                                     http://www.straylight.ca/locke
PictureDesk International            http://www.picturedesk.org
Available at PressLink ONLINE        http://online.presslink.com