Subject: [Leica] NGO's
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 11:08:17 -0500

At 09:24 AM 2/22/99 -0500, you wrote:

>     Tina made a good point; but Eric may be going a bit too far---that is,
>     for an NGO to say it "can't afford to pay for the photography" may not
>     at all be "denigrating what we do as less than worthy of compensation"
>     but only stating an economic fact of life for that NGO (just as for me
>     to say I'd like to own, but cannot afford to pay for, a Noctilux would
>     not be denigrating Leica but only stating an economic fact of life for
>     me).  And if, as Eric suggested, the NGO also "can't afford not to pay
>     for it," then one can sympathize with the NGO facing that dilemma, no?
>
>     Art Peterson

I think Eric's point and mine is that if the NGO can afford to pay salaries
to staff, why should they expect photographers to work for nothing.  NGO's
that can't afford to pay for photography shouldn't put a guilt trip on
photographers by asking them to donate their work any more than they would
ask the staff to donate their time and talent without pay.  Your work has
the value that you and others place on it.  When I do donate photographs
for a cause I believe in, I always include a "paid" invoice giving the
actual worth of the photographs.  Another way to donate to worthy NGO's is
charge them your normal usage fee and then turn around and donate the fee
to the NGO.  That way it is a charitable deduction on your taxes and you
have an established worth for your work.  If photography is your hobby and
it gives you pleasure to give away your photographs, that is one thing;
however, it is totally different if your income depends on your photography.

Leically,

Tina
Tina Manley, ASMP

http://www.charweb.org/arts/open/tinamanley