Subject: [Leica] Turn (some) Leicas into digital cameras come June
From: Alex Hurst <corkflor@iol.ie>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 09:28:50 +0000

Hi LUGnuts

It seems that the first gizmo to turn traditional film cameras into digital
devices will be marketed from next June.

Point your browsers at:

http://www.imagek.com/

In summary, it's a simple replacement for the film cassette with a CMOS
sensor lying on the film plane.

Resolution 1280x1024 pixels producing files of around 1.4Mb. 30 pix per
load, and download direct to a PC or Mac. 'Film speed' is 100 ASA, but they
hope to raise sensitivity in later devices. Cost under USD800.

As far as I can make out, it will work best with the R series which have a
film reminder window. This way you can see all the info, but it also has
audible signals which make it suitable for any camera with a hinged back
and no reminder window.

It might just work on the M series, but I doubt that it will be suitable to
digitise LTM cameras with solid bodies and bottom-end loading..

Personally I'm not rushing out to buy the Mark I. I would imagine that
prices will drop rapidly when production gets into its stride, and the
technology will no doubt be rapidly refined over the next couple of years.

Anyway, folks, it's no longer a straight choice between film and digital.
Now you can use either in the one camera. Tho' I doubt that the quality
will be anywhere near film yet, using Leica glass should make up at least
some of the leeway.

Slan

Alex

Alex Hurst