Subject: Re: [Leica] aluminium pods and cold hands
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 00:32:06 -0800

Tim Atherton wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As you know, there are few of us Luggers North of 60. For your tripod legs
> you can get custom made foam sleeves with fancy Velcro on Nylon covers
> (don't remember who makes them?) - work great and look good.
>
> Or you can go to the hardware store and get the slit foam insulation for
> water pipes. Comes in a nice dark grey colour and there is a diameter that
> is perfect for Gitzo's. It has a self fixing adhesive for where the slit is
> (doesn't affect your tripod). Your can make it more secure with duct tape.
>
> Doesn't look as good. But it is a) cheap and b) you can rip it off for the
> summer and put on a new set on next winter. Works great down to -40c! A darn
> sight cheaper than carbon fibre
>
> Tim A

I have black foam sleeves on my larger Gitzo sitting their in the
studio. I would never take it off and the camera is friendlier and more
functional with them on and they look good and are at this point a bit
original. If one knew a person who had and could use a surger that
person could make sleeves of any diameter to fit over any of the various
foam pipe insulation which come in amazing thickness and substances if
you don't just go to hardware store but go to a specialized insulation place.
It also makes for throwing the tripod over your shoulder with camera for
long treks or heavier cameras more doable. Bursitis runs in my family.
Mark Rabiner