Subject: [Leica] Leica CD-ROM
From: John Maries <jmaries@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 05:08:11 -0500

Gary,

I've got a copy of the Leica CD-ROM.  It includes:

   Complete catalog of 100 cameras and 46 lenses (but not many accessories)
   3-D rotatable pictures of all milestone Leica's (screw, M, and R).
   Sounds of their shutters and motors (real anal!)
   A virtual visit to the Solms museum (neat)
   Virtual tour of the plant
   Ten "disaster" stories (bit weak) proving the Leica legend.
    Images, sounds and texts from Leica's history
   Index of all offices, distributors etc.

This CD is not going to teach you how to take better photos, it's about the
company and its products but its a great buy for the Leicanut - better
still as a gift, as mine was!

It's only drawback is that the interface is a bit slow.  On my old machine
it responds quite slowly to mouse clicks and it takes an age to get from
one section to another.

Whilst we're talking about CD-ROM's, I would like also to plug "our own"
Erwin's "Leica History 1925-1965".  This is a collection of 170 original
catalogs, brochures and leaflets scanned into Acrobat format.  It's all
here - instruction manuals, price lists etc.  Most in English, some auf
Deutsch.  Great thing is that these just about print out to A4/letter
format, ending up as nice fascimiles of the originals.  Days and days of
stuff here.

Despite the pitch, I'm not involved in this latter venture - just want to
encourage Erwin to do Volume 2  (1966 to date)!

Regards

John Maries (UK)