Subject: RE: [Leica] long lens tests
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 21:51:00 -0600

At 02:48 PM 2/20/99 -0800, you wrote:
>	Unless you have analysed these side by side with the same films at
>the same apertures it would be a gut feel more than anything else.

I'd trust 40 years plus experience over most people's tests any day of the
week. Sometimes people can do the analysis of the laboratory performance of
a lens and yet they couldn't take a decent picture to save their lives.
What gives them the ability to determine for the rest of us what is going
to be useful in the field?

Actually, any of those lenses would meet anybody's standards if they
weren't being compared side by side, I suppose. So it's academic, unless
there is field experience with both or all three lenses that the person
then comes back and says "I prefer this lens for this reason." And sure it
will be subjective. It's insane to pick a camera line for their 400 2.8
unless that is the primary lens to be used. Otherwise, it ought to be
picked simply because it fits on the dang cameras I own.

So you are right, people who use the lenses will have the advantage. Ted is
one of those people.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

The Devil whispered behind the leaves, It's pretty, but is it Art?   -
Rudyard Kipling