Subject: Re: [Leica] Drying marks
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 11:50:57 -0800

Robert...delia wrote:

>     Martin,   I second what Ferrel says.  Forget about  using a wetting
>agent - they leave gunk.  Just use distilled water as your  last rinse,
>hang your film to dry and don't "squeegee".  That should take care of the
>problem.   As for the negatives you already developed,  re-wash them or
>use a film cleaner. Eric is right. Kodak film cleaner was the best,  the
>Edwal stuff isn't nearly as good.  What do you use now  Eric?   Regards,
>Robert>>>>>>>>>>>

Robert, the distilled water last rinse is a fine idea, but that routine
costs more money to buy distilled water, so here is a simple solution for
drying marks and using photo flo.

The major error committed by most photographers using a wetting agent
is...THEY USE TOO MUCH! Everyone of us has made that mistake at sometime,
usually at the beginning learning stage.

What if there isn't any distilled water available?

Quick fix and no marks.

Immediately after washing, a ___"FEW DROPS"___ like that is two or three,
into clean water.  dunk films and swish around.  Then lift out and return
to another clean water tank or container plunge the rolls in and out,
drain. And before removing film from reels, hold reel firmly in hand and
flick arm and hand forcefully towards floor to shake off additional rinse
water.

Hang and dry....DO NOT SQUEEGE OR TOUCH FILM! I have used this metheod for
quite a few years and the secret is...ONLY A FEW DROPS OF WETTING AGENT, I
use kodak Photo-flo and using A SECOND QUICK CLEAN WATER RINSE. This is
dunk and drain!

And it's much cheaper than buying distilled water, besides some guys can't
conveniently buy distilled water where they live.

ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant