Subject: [Leica] Cheap wideangle
From: John Maries <jmaries@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 03:14:10 -0500

Recent talk on this list of the Chinon/Ricoh/Konica (et al) wide angles
sold with Leica screw threads but without cams reminded me that I had an
old Carl Zeiss Jena Flekotogon 25/4 in M42 mount.

Marc told me it was the East German version of the Distagon and this is
borne out by the results, where it's the equal of a well known 24mm ASPH
f4-f11 (pax Erwin).   This unwanted and unloved lens cost me $50
equivalent.

For $20 equivalent I got from SRB here in England a Leica M39 to M42
adapter, and with a M39 to bayonet adapter, I've got this lens sitting
pretty on my Leica CL.   With adapter, the thing is reminiscent of the
orginal Zoomar lens.  Focussing is by scale but not a problem with a 25mm
f4 lens.  It actually works.

Two problems: I need a viewfinder, any ideas? And the scales have ended up
down the left hand side of the camera (now know that SRB do an adjustable
version of the adapter).

The way is open now for all those wideangle Takumars etc.  OK, we're not
talking Leica purity here - but it is fun.

Regards

John