Subject: [Leica] R7 to R8
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 17:01:58 -0800

At 10:57 AM 2/19/99 -0600, you wrote:

>I am prompted to ask whether the promotion from R7 to R8 will result
>in better or more pleasing photos for the taker?

Without trying to sound like I have an attitude, what kind of a question
"is" that? It is not only totally meaningless, but totally unanswerable.

Photographic results are perpetrated by the person behind the camera. Not
the camera.

You can think of a camera as a light proof air space between a lens and a
piece of film. Viewfinder, shutter, and f/stops.

Except for out at the fringes (f/1.0, 1/8000th, 800mm, Holga...), it is
virtually or basically impossible to tell which camera a photographer used
to take a photograph. But you most certainly "can" tell which photographer
took the photograph. Obviously not all photographers, but known photographers.

The photographers eye is the essence of photography. Not which camera he or
she is using.

Jim