Subject: [Leica] Re: WTB
From: "Joe Leung" <jcyleung@axionet.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 09:34:13 -0800

Hello to all,

Anyone has a N*k*n to Alpa adapter for sale? I'm a regular M3, M4P & SL
user, but   would like to have an extra long telephoto to be used on my
Apla 9D on some occassions.

Joe L.

- ----------
> From: Leica Users digest <owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
> To: leica-users-digest@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
> Subject: [Leica] Leica Users digest V7 #12
> Date: Friday, February 19, 1999 12:01 AM
>

> Leica Users digest      Friday, February 19 1999      Volume 07 : Number
012

> Topics in this digest:
>       [Off topic] Darkroom Survey Response
>       Domke bags
>     4 Leica & tri-X
>       Drying Marks
>     3 now:B&W photography
>     2 Drying marks
>     2 "Darkroom Cookbook"
>       RE: [Leica] Film reels (was: B&W film (long))
>       RE: those movies
>       another oxymoron
>       My M purse (quite long)
>       RE:  RE:  Photoflo and plastic reels
>     2 SPR:  OFF-TOPIC
>       Leica Abuse!
>       WTB  21mm f2.8 M Aspheric lens
>       FS  Leica Leather
>       R 19mm Old v. New
>       Identity of Leitz Easel?
>       Items for Sale
>       Delta 3200
>       Re: "An Anthropologist on Mars"
>     2 now:B&W photographynot Titalic
>     2 RE: [Leica]now:B&W photography
>       photoflo suggestions
>     2 long lens tests
>       fs: friday
>       Film, Cameras, Customs & France & Arrogance
>       Film reels (was: B&W film (long))
>     2 Elmar C 90mm
>       RE:  Tri-X and Kodak vs Ilford?
>       was Tri-X vs Ilford?now:Tmax fixing.

> Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 17:47:20 -0800
> From: "Bryan Caldwell" <bcaldwell@softcom.net>
> Subject: Re: [Leica] [Off topic] Darkroom Survey Response
>
> Might as well add me to the list - for a while I felt guilty about not
> responding, so I didn't add my .02 worth.
>
> I've done all my own B&W for 25 years. I currently have a darkroom that
is
> about 7'x7' with a 6' sink. Enlarger is a Saunders 6700 that I bought
when I
> had a previous darkroom where size was a major issue. Nikon 50mm 2.8 and
> 80mm 4.0. Kinderman stainless tanks and reels after playing around with
just
> about everything else out there. I was a devoted Tri-X user for over 20
> years but have recently (and after a tremendous amount of consternation)
> switched to primarily Ilford HP5 usually developed in ID-11 if I've
> remembered to mix it up ahead of time or in Ifosol-S if I haven't. I also
go
> through periods where I use Edwal FG-7 a lot. I use a lot of different
> papers, but use fiber double weight for everything except contact sheets.
> selenium tone most prints and mount them with an ancient Seal
dry-mounting
> press. Leica rangefinders (2 M6's and an M2, with 21mm, 28mm, 35mm
Summilux,
> 50mm Summicron, Noctilux, and 90 Summicron) and my beloved (but old)
Rollei
> 2.8F TLR. I will confess to periods of several years each involving
Nikons,
> Hasselbalds, Leica R, and Olympus OM's. Always come back to the Leica M's
> and the Rollei TLR, though. When I travel I usually take everything along
> with a Gitzo 226, Leica tabletop tripod and ole Leitz large ball head as
> well as a Sekonic L-408 and an old L-398. I always liked the fact that
with
> the 398 and Leica you can be completely independent of batteries.
>

> Bryan

HP5+.
> >Developers on hand are HC-110 and Microdol.  Papers are Ilford (and a
> >shrinking hoard of carefully stored Oriental-glad its back!)  This may
all
> >change, I am going to pick up some TMZ and TMax developer tomorrow, and
try
> >Eric's technique for TMZ @ 6400...
> >Jim Colburn
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 17:54:51 -0800
> From: "Bryan Caldwell" <bcaldwell@softcom.net>
> Subject: Re: [Leica] Domke bags
>
> Does anyone besides me remember that about 10-12 years ago Domke made a
bag
> specifically for Leica M cameras? I don't think it had a designation
number,
> but was called the "M" bag. I bought one from Camera One in Florida and
> still have it. I've never seen it in any Domke catalog and it's different
> than any other Domke model. It's actually a very well designed bag. It
will
> hold two M bodies and 2-4 lenses as well as a a dozen or so rolls of
film.
> Mine is grey with khaki trim and has a large "Domke" label sewn in the
back.

> Bryan

Has
> [...]
> >with the right dilution, and let it sit in the water for about five
> >minutes. ...
> >Still, I keep on getting little white marks on the film.  What am I
> >doing wrong?
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 20:23:18 -0500
> From: Bill Welch <welch@pressroom.com>
> Subject: Re: [Leica] "Darkroom Cookbook"
>
> Nathan, those appear to be a confusion of the two books. I have both
right
> by my desk here. The newer one, which I suggested is helpful for those
> interested in exploring and undestanding black and white film
development,
> is this one:
> 	"The Film Developing Cookbook" by Anchell and Troop, Focal Press, 1998.
> get more specific, its ISBN is: 0-240-80277-2.
>
> The publisher is a subsidiary of Butterworth-Heinemann, with a website
at:
> www.bh.com.
>
> The older book is "The Darkroom Cookbook" by Anchell alone. Publisher is
> the same. Pub date 1994.
>
> Bill
>

> At 08:17 AM 2/18/99 +0100, you wrote:
> >Hi y'all
> >
> >Inspired by the mention of this book I went to the Internet Bookshop
> >site and found two books:
> >
> >Anchell & Troop, "Darkroom Cookbook v.2", Focal Press, Dec. 1998 (UK
> >edition), spiralbound
> >
> >and
> >
> >Anchell, "The Darkroom Cookbook; Film Developing", Focal Press, Dec.
> >1998 (U.S. edition), paperback.
> >
> >Does anyone know whether this is in fact the same book?
> >
> >Nathan
> >
> >--
> >Nathan Wajsman
> >Overijse, Belgium
> >
> >Photography page:  http://members.tripod.com/~belgiangator/index.html
> >Motorcycle page:
> >http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/downs/1704/index.html
> >

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 20:54:30 -0500
> From: Bill Welch <welch@pressroom.com>
> Subject: RE: [Leica] Film reels (was: B&W film (long))
>
> At 11:16 AM 2/18/99 -0500, you wrote:
> >How do people put their film through the photoflo once it is off the
reels.
> >I find it difficult to handle.
>

> I don't have any trouble dipping the Hewes reels in the photoflow and
then
> rinsing them later with hot water. But if I'm using plastic jobo reels, I
> pop them open and let the film fall gently into a sheet-film developing
> tank filled with distilled water and Edwal wetting agent. Out after a few
> seconds.
>
> Bill
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 21:19:02 EST
> From: RBedw51767@aol.com
> Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: those movies
>
> Jim:
>
> Just wanted you to know that they are showing reruns of Debbie Does
Dallas,
> [...]
> Mark Rabiner
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 18:35:26 -0800
> From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
> Subject: [Leica] My M purse (quite long)
>
> I get a catalog called "Back Saver". I have a bad lower back problem
> (currently getting cortisone injections between L4 & L5) and a couple of
> years ago I bought a back recliner chair, and a "back saver" shoulder bag
> from them. The bag is leather, large, black, and looks like a rather
large,
> very soft, leather purse, with a full length zipper across the top. I put
> stretchy, well padded, non-slip, camera bag strap (Optech I think) on it
as
> the strap that came with it was somewhat hokey. The purse has large "D"
> rings for strap attachment. I carry this bag as my
> briefcase/purse/whatever... The inside is divided long ways so you can
put
> a laptop on one side and papers/folders/notebooks... on the other.
>
> I bought two Billingham tall inserts. These are"two holers", eg; double,
> two pockets, two holes. My wife disconnected one side of the center
> dividing cross piece in one of the inserts and sewed it into the corner
> giving me, still two pockets, but a large triangle-like shaped pocket and
> small triangle shaped pocket. Draw what I just said and you will see what
> mean.
>
> She then sewed a piece of cloth on the bottom of both the modified and
> unmodified inserts. This keeps things like lens caps and other small
things
> from moving from one pocket to the other, or out into the bag away from
the
> insert. Even though this bag has a built-in foam bottom, I put a piece of
> close cell foam (1/4" thick) in the bottom of each pocket.
>
> Since these are Billingham inserts, they have Velcro around the outside.
> put the opposite type (hook or loop) in my bag, on the front side of the
> divider, and then placed these Billingham inserts into the bag, secured
> from moving around, by this Velcro.
>
> My M6 with 35/1.4 ASPH and TA Winder attached, fits vertically into the
> large triangular shaped pocket. Rolls of film fit exactly into the very
> small triangular pocket. My 75/1.4 fits into the first (next to the
camera)
> unmodified insert pocket. My 50 DR Summicron fits lens cap down into the
> last pocket. My 24/2.8 ASPH sits base down (plastic rear cap to plastic
> rear cap) on top of the 50 DR. The 35/1.4 ASPH lens hood resides on top
of
> the 75/1.4 in its pocket (plenty of room). The 24 and 50 have their
shades
> attached.
>
> On the other side of the divider, I carry papers, magazines, notebook
(not
> computer), etc. A zipper pocket inside holds miscellaneous small stuff.
An
> outside end pocket holds my phone. An outside side pocket on one side
> (front - camera side) holds my Palm III, and an identical side pocket
along
> the back holds receipts, coupons, various notes and papers (flat stuff.)
> You know... the stuff that seems to accumulate and multiply on its own.
>
> This bag is completely anonymous looking. And I carry it everywhere, like
> purse. It is a purse. With reading material, notebook, needed papers,
etc,
> and a complete M6 kit enclosed.
>
> It's not like carrying a "camera bag". It's like carrying a purse. I love
it!

> Jim
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 18:39:30 -0800
> From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
> Subject: Re: [Leica]now:B&W photography
>
> Michael Garmisa wrote:
> >
> > At 02:35 PM 2/18/99 -0800, you wrote:
> > >I have not seen Pi, any good?
> > I would say its a love it or hate it movie... I think its out on video
now.
> > --
> > Michael Garmisa <elmar@nyct.net>
> > NO ARCHIVE
>
> I walked out in the middle with my wife. Not quite as annoying as "The
> Countess from Hong Kong" but close. An insult to anyones intelligence.
> They should have used at least one consultant.
> Mark Rabiner
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 21:24:13 -0500
> From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
> Subject: Re: [Leica] RE:  RE:  Photoflo and plastic reels
>
> At 11:55 PM 1999-02-18 +0100, Nathan Wajsman wrote:
> >I have been using my plastic reels for about 12-13 years, and I have
> always used
> >Photoflo, pouring it into the tank with the film on the reel inside.
> Afterwards,
> >I just rinse the reels thoroughly, no detergents or soaps of any kind. I
have
> >never noticed any problems whatsoever with Photoflo contamination.
>
> Right on, brother!  I currently use NOTHING but Hewes reels and
Kindermann
> [...]
with a
> >storyline. SPR was fabrication in the biggest sense except for the first
30
> >minutes which I assume close to accurate considering the expert
consultants
> >he had for the movie.  Its just that I find it entirely unecessary to
> >subject an audience to 30 mins of it when 5 would do.  But that would
make
> >for a shorted movie and Spielberg likes them long winded....
>
> Peter
>
> I am stunned by this.  If you guys would change the subj:  line, I'd key
> into these threads earlier.  DAMN IT:  CHANGE THE SUBJECT LINE WHEN THE
> THREAD DRIFTS.  This isn't rocket science, and you guys are all MENSA
> candidates, or you'd not be shooting Leica, now, would you?
>
> I am on the WWII-L.  The veterans were horrifically impressed by SAVING
> PRIVATE RYAN and hate THE THIN RED LINE.  Me?  I'm a retired light
colonel,
> but no one ever fired at my sacred body, so what do I know?  But I feel
> that SPR is worthy of great respect, the exact opposite to the feeling I
> have for that fallacious LIST flick he made.
>
> Marc
>
> msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
> Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 18:48:10 -0800
> From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
> Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Abuse!
>
> Henning wrote:
>
> >>From the edge of the RAIN forest (moss covered). Vancouver, BC.>>>>>
>
> Henning old buddy, :)
>
> If you guys are at the edge of the rain forest, we gotta be right in the
> miuddle! :)
>
> I've got moss growing everywhere and the R8 and R7's now have a "Safari
> Look!"   Only they appear more "jungle green growth look!" :)
>
> Now you being an architectural photographer and knowing all that building
> stuff,how good are you at building boats, like an Ark? :)  Of course we'd
> have to have a "red dot" Ark or it'll never float! :)
> ted
>
> Ted Grant
> This is Our Work. The Legacy of Sir William Osler.
> http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 18:47:26 -0800
> From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
> Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica & tri-X
>
> Ted Grant wrote:
> >
> > Hi gang,
> >
> > Leica, Tri-X and D23 or D76 developer.
> >
> snip
> >
> > Tri-x 37 years later! ...... heck older than  many LUG folks!:) I'm
> > surprised at how good the images look, how well the negatives have kept
and
> > most surprised  "Why did I ever switch to T-max 400?"
> >
> > The early Tri-x has a smoother fine grained look to it over what I see
from
> > the past 12-15 years of using t-max 400 processed with T-max developer.
Not
> [...]
+
> lenses, etc.,  up to mint.  These cases are hard brown leather with red
> felt lining and make 100% use of their interior space, affording
immediate
> access to their contents.
>
> Harry
> haige@compuserve.com
>

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 03:01:05 +0000
> From: Joe Berenbaum <joe-b@dircon.co.uk>
> Subject: Re: [Leica] R 19mm Old v. New
>
> At 06:57 PM 2/18/99 +0000, you wrote:
> >One characteristic of the earlier 19mm is that a filter cannot be
> >attached. In fact, the factory literature of the day noted that
> >filter use with this lens was not recommended - despite the
> >incorporation of filter threading.  My own limited experimentation
> >resulted in the filter glass touching the font element of the lens.
> >
> >However, Lee now has a 4"x4" resin filter holder that I'm going to
> >try out as soon as I get a chance to cart the lens over to the supply
> >shop. I would use filters for color correction under fluorescent
> >lighting.
> >
> >Roy
>
> There is a B+W filter that fits without touching the front element or
> vignetting, made by B+W and it is the wideangle version of whatever screw
> thread it is at the front of the lens (I can't remember and don't have
> anything nearby to remind me). It is in the back of the B+W catalogue (at
> least it is in my old one). Osterloh mentions this filter in his book on
> the Leica reflex system. Then you have two choices; you either get the
> separate filter/s you need, or you get the holder that is efffectively
the
> same thing but with a screw-in ring that holds the glass in place and a
few
> different glass filters to put in it. This does actually work. I tried a
> Lee holder and it fouled up on the studs for the lens hood, but I don't
> know if this was the same thing as described above. I haven't used this
> lens enough to be able to comment on its performance.
>
> Joe Berenbaum
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 22:24:24 -0500
> From: Harry Haige <haige@compuserve.com>
> Subject: [Leica] Identity of Leitz Easel?
>
> Hello darkroom enthusiasts,
>
> I have an old Leitz 8x10" wood easel and wonder if anybody can tell me
the
> application for this particular variant.  The wood base is the usual
> 12x14x1" size.  The underside is flat, without the pairs of raised ribs
and
> dovetail grooves of the clamping version.  Along the left and front edges
> metal strips are inlaid into the underside of the wood, protruding
outward
> by about 0.1" then turning up for about 0.1".  I.e., looking like an  _|
> extending out from the bottom edge.  Was this part of some apparatus?
Just
> [...]
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 18 Feb 99 23:40:19 -0500
> From: Mary & Stan Kephart <kephartol@att.net>
> Subject: Re: [Leica]now:B&W photographynot Titalic
>
> Thanks, Guys,
>
> I didn't like "Titanic" either, but was afraid to admit it until tonight!

> >Mark:
> >
> >It is really scarry.. I find myself agreeing with you much too often!
Has
> >nothing to do with you as I don't really enjoy agreeing with anyone
> >frequently.  My wife will agree, I'm sure!   As for Titanic I have not
> >seen it
> >because I knew I would end up puking.  Not really interested in puking!
> >
> >Bob Bedwell
> >
> ><< Mark Rabiner wrote:
> > <snip>Titanic made me puke. I think Linda Hamilton knows something.
> > Terminators' were great though. Titanic made me more than puke, I am
> > ready to join discussion groups to sit around and creatively badmouth
it
> > in my spare time.<snip>
> >
> > Kind of like we do here?  Still the cinematography of Titianic IMO was
> > better.
> >
> > Peter K
> >  >>

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 21:55:08 -0600
> From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
> Subject: RE: [Leica]now:B&W photography
>
> At 01:16 PM 2/18/99 -0800, you wrote:
> >lets say the guys on Omaha Beach didn't have much time for a build-up.
>
> Ted,
>
> You're spot right on! It's time war movies stopped romanticizing it.
>
> Eric Welch
> St. Joseph, MO
> http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch
>
> Suicidal twin kills sister by mistake!
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 21:57:36 -0600
> From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
> Subject: RE: [Leica]now:B&W photography
>
> At 02:27 PM 2/18/99 -0800, you wrote:
> > Its just that I find it entirely unecessary to
> >subject an audience to 30 mins of it when 5 would do.
>
> Better yet if they could be shorter for the soldiers! :-)
>
> The end of the story wasn't nearly as good.
>
> Hey, speaking of movies, what Supermodel is seen using an M6 to take
> pictures of Anthony Hopkins? :-)
>
> Eric Welch
> St. Joseph, MO
> http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch
>
> Suicidal twin kills sister by mistake!
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 22:05:19 -0600
> From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
> Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica & tri-X
>
> At 09:09 PM 2/18/99 -0500, you wrote:
> >I have been going through exactly the same feelings as I scan some of my
> >old negatives.  I'm very tempted to go back to Tri-x; however, I do end
up
> >pushing a lot of the 400 to 800 and TMax does push better than Tri-x.
>
> Ted and Tina. While  you're waxing nostalgic, try TMax 400 with Press
Maxx

http://home.netscape.com/netcenter/mail

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 22:20:46 -0700
> From: "John Poirier" <MJ.Patterson@nt.sympatico.ca>
> Subject: Re: [Leica] Film reels (was: B&W film (long))
>
> Well, Bob, I guess we both must be freaks because my experience (since
> mid-seventies) has been the same as yours.  As far as TMax is concerned,
you
> might consider the possibility that it is just plain ugly- especially the
> 100.  I've used truckloads of of 4x5 TMax 100 as a copy film, but
wouldn't
> be caught dead using it for landscapes.
> (Of course, there are so many variables in processing and printing that
> other  freaks may well be getting beautiful results with the stuff.)
>
> John Poirier
>

> >Damn, I learn something new everyday.  I have been developing film since
> kid
> >in the 50's and have used Photo-Flo on every roll.  This is the first
time
> >that I have ever heard this.  I must be doing a good job cleaning
cleaning
> my
> >reels between use as I have never detected a problem of any kind.
However,
> [...]
> Mark Rabiner
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 21:24:42 -0800
> From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
> Subject: Re: [Leica]now:B&W photographynot Titalic
>
> Mary & Stan Kephart wrote:
> snip
> > >Bob Bedwell
> snip
> > >
> > > Kind of like we do here?  Still the cinematography of Titianic IMO
was
> > > better.
> > >
> > > Peter K
> > >  >>
> They have a I hate the Titanic flick group.
> Mark Rabiner
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 16:27:21 +1000
> From: Gareth Jolly <gareth.jolly@minters.com.au>
> Subject: [Leica] Elmar C 90mm
>
> I'm thinking about buying an Elmar C 90mm for my M6.  Besides the
> obvious (i.e f4 vs f2.8) can any one tell me how an Elmar C compares to
> an Elmarit?
>
> My natural inclination is to keep searching until I find an Elmarit
because
> f4 seems rather slow, but I'd appreciate any views.
>
> Thanks
> Gareth Jolly
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 21:33:30 -0800
> From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
> Subject: Re: [Leica] SPR:  OFF-TOPIC
>
> I can't tell how annoyed people are getting on the off topic discussion
> of movies but its my impression that most photographers wand to be
> filmmakers and most filmmakers want to be photographers. Up the street
> we have Gus Van Sant who has cameras to die for and a photobook out of
> portraits which I think is great from Poloroid Negs. (of unrecognizable
> celebs.) The list goes on. We are shooting with the camera innovative
> for its use of movie film to shoot stills. There is a consistent cross
> over.
> I think of a film as a slide show played quickly with added soundtrack
> and storyline.
> Mark Rabiner
> Portland
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 06:31:35 +0100
> From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
> Subject: Re: [Leica] "Darkroom Cookbook"
>
> Bill,
>
> Thanks. I ordered the Anchell and Troop book from the Internet Bookshop
(cannot see
> ISBNs on the web site), hoping it is the right one.
>
> Nathan
>
> Bill Welch wrote:
>
> > Nathan, those appear to be a confusion of the two books. I have both
right
> > by my desk here. The newer one, which I suggested is helpful for those
> > interested in exploring and undestanding black and white film
development,
> > is this one:
> >         "The Film Developing Cookbook" by Anchell and Troop, Focal
Press, 1998. To