Subject: Re: [Leica] Darkroom survey
From: "D. K." <tekapo@golden.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 09:07:06 -0500

Since somebody's actually tabulating the percentage of LUG users who do
their own darkroom work, count me in as well. My set-up sounds rather
pitiful-- It's an Omega (a 700 or C700 I think), with an enlarger lens
manufactured by Fujinon (never heard of them). I bought it a decade ago,
cheap, at a garage sale and have always been satisfied. (Then again, my
first camera was a beat-up Nikon FM that I bought at a pawn shop for
CAN$75). The print results are actually better on this enlarger than I
could pull out of an industrial enlarger at the weekly newspaper where I
was photo editor. That aside, I've been seriously intending to upgrade to
an enlarger that matches the quality of my M6, which I've had for three
years. At present I'm living in an apartment, so the enlarger isn't a
priority at this second, but in the coming months I have to move,
specifically for purposes of a working darkroom, so I need a good enlarger
soon. What are others preferences for the lamp source: cold or condensed?
What's an excellent lens (I only want one)? Keep in mind, I shoot 35mm with
the M6 and some Nikon, mainly using 35mm lens, sometimes 90mm. My prints
are either 9x6 or 10x13, no bigger. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Dave Fisher
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada