Subject: [Leica] Leica & Tri-X & Velour Black
From: Buzz Hausner <Buzz@marianmanor.org>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 07:49:44 -0500

> What you gave me in your post was the word that describes the look of the
> prints from the 37 year old Tri-X negs, "tonality!" Thats it in a
> nutshell.
> The prints have the nicest tonal look to them compared to how the T-Max
> prints look.
>
> Strange that it only took me 37 years to discover I had made some nice
> negatives at one time.:) But then.... oh well never mind...:)
> ted

	I, too, have from time to time printed some of my 30 year old Tri-X
negatives and remain astonished by that "tonality," something I have never
been able to achieve with T-Max.  I have largely shifted to Ilford for black
and white, but this thread makes me think of returning to Tri-X.  However,
something is still missing from the prints I made so many years ago.

	The biggest difference between prints made thirty years ago and
prints made today are the papers available.  I have never found anything to
match the brutal cold tone and elegant tonal range of the late and lamented
(by me) DuPont Velour Black under Tri-X.  Can anyone recommend a fine, cold
toned fibre based paper which resembles the old high-silver Velour Black?

		Buzz Hausner