Subject: RE: [Leica]now:B&W photography
From: "Kotsinadelis, Peter (Peter)" <peterk@lucent.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 14:34:24 -0800

Ted Grant wrote:

>I happened to see the movie with three D-day landing vets!.... two of them
>were crying and the third guy took on the shakes amd pissed his pants!!!
>Maybe for you the blood was over done, but the real guys who were there
>have an entirely realistic re-action to the first thirty minutes. And they
>werewn't alone amongst the crew I was with.

>Finally a movie director put some real time realism into movie making
>instead of their usual gung-ho Hollywood Sands of Iwo Jima stuff!  If
>nothing else, it may have made some folks think more about the horrors of
>war no matter which side they were on.  Unfortunatly politicians who get us
>into this shit never have to go!  But they're damn quick to send our
sons!<snip>

I agree, war is hell.  But the reactions you describe are reason to me that
we don't need the length of the realism he used.  Just my opinion.  Its kind
of like showing someone slowly dying, I for one don;t want to see every
second and detail.  Five minutes ouwl have been enough.

><<<<and the sensationalism of the first 30 minutes took away from the story
>instead of added to it. >>>>>>

>Yeah, but did it ever get your attention in a hurry!  Now seeing that, just
>imagine what it was like landing with those guys and all you were carrying
>were a couple of Leicas and or a Speed Graphic?  No thank you, a thousand
>times, NO!
>ted

Yes, it almost got my attention enough to nearly walk out of the theater.
Hey he's a great director  but I go to the movies/cinema to be entertained.
If I want to be educated I read a book.

Peter K