Subject: RE: [Leica]now:B&W photography
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 13:16:57 -0800

Peter Kotsinadelis wrote:

>I vote for James Cameron.  At least there isn't 30 minutes of blood and guts
>all over the screen.  For me the Private Ryan was overdone and the
>sensationalism of the first 30 minutes took away from the story instead of
>added to it.  No build up.>>>>>>>

Peter,

lets say the guys on Omaha Beach didn't have much time for a build-up.
Lets say many of those who could were glad for the let down after.  It may
have been over blown for you, but then real time war stuff isn't a happy
camper location for anybody! And yes I've some war time action, thank
goodness as a photojournailist but it still scares the beejeesus out of you!

I happened to see the movie with three D-day landing vets!.... two of them
were crying and the third guy took on the shakes amd pissed his pants!!!
Maybe for you the blood was over done, but the real guys who were there
have an entirely realistic re-action to the first thirty minutes. And they
werewn't alone amongst the crew I was with.

Finally a movie director put some real time realism into movie making
instead of their usual gung-ho Hollywood Sands of Iwo Jima stuff!  If
nothing else, it may have made some folks think more about the horrors of
war no matter which side they were on.  Unfortunatly politicians who get us
into this shit never have to go!  But they're damn quick to send our sons!

<<<<and the sensationalism of the first 30 minutes took away from the story
instead of added to it. >>>>>>

Yeah, but did it ever get your attention in a hurry!  Now seeing that, just
imagine what it was like landing with those guys and all you were carrying
were a couple of Leicas and or a Speed Graphic?  No thank you, a thousand
times, NO!
ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant