Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica M5(metering)
From: "Mark Hammons" <astair@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 19:31:47 -0600

>>EV is strictly a function of shutter speed and aperture.   Just look at any
>>Hasselblad C or CF lens to convince yourself.  Specifying exposure requires
>>both EV and film speed.
>>
>>Dan C.

>Are we talking at cross-purposes here?
>I understood Mark's original statement to mean that the required EV was
>dependent on the intensity of light and the sensitivity of the film - that
>is true, surely. However, EV itself is solely a function of speed and
>aperture and is independent of film speed and the amount of light. These
>are not contradictory statements. Any apparent contradiction is the fault
>of my inability to explain myself!

CORRECT!    EV is in and of itself SOLELY a function of the aperture
and shutter speed combination.  But the EV that will be appropriate for a given
intensity of light IS dependant on film speed ( I know -- "DUH!" ).
And measuring EV on a handheld meter requires the Film speed be selected
( and of course the light being measured :-).   The minimum and maximum EV
that can be measured by the light meter is dependant on the photocell sensitivity
and the supporting electronics.

For a TTL meter on a camera the "measuring" F-ratio of the lens comes into
play and shifts the min-max values up or down depeding on weather its a
fast or slow lens.  That is why when you look at specs of how sensitive a
light meter is on a camera it is typically -- by industry standard I suppose --
given as something like EV -1 to 17 @F1.4 and ASA100.

I think that addresses the issues posted today about this thread.  May it rest
in peace!  :-)