Subject: Re: [Leica] Current M lens as enlarger lens?
From: "JeffS" <segawa@netone.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 22:14:20 -0700

- -----Original Message-----
From: Moore, Andrew <moorea@andovercontrols.com>
>1) Is it possible to use a modern Leica lens (such as the 50/2
>   Summicron-M) as an enlarger lens, even if I had to make my own
>   mount/adapter?

Sure, but this is an expensive enlarging lens, and not designed with this
purpose in mind.

There may be some adjustment screws which will remove that slop from the
focus control of your current enlarger.

Leica used to make a magnificently robust 35mm enlarger, but most other
35mm-only units are kind of dinky by comparison. You can always buy a 6x7
enlarger and ignore it's multi-format capabilities, while enjoying it's
stouter construction, and typically taller columns. Multi-format enlargers
also tend to use interchangeable lens boards, which should ease any project
involving custom lens mounts. If need be, you could cement a bored-out rear
lenscap to the lensboard, and presto, instant Leica M lens adaptor! But
while I pride myself on a certain amount of frugality, I don't think I'd
like to use my 50mm lens in such a setup--it doesn't lock, and only a 1/8th
turn will send the lens tumbling down onto the baseboard. Ever dropped a new
Leica lens? Trust me, it's not fun, and no, your Passport warranty does not
guarantee that Leica will restore it to like-new condition, just that
they'll make it work okay again.

Jeff