Subject: Re: [Leica] was:Wedding photography. now:B&W photography -Reply
From: Kevin Leong <kevinl@ind.tansu.com.au>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 21:31:58 +1100

Harrison McClary wrote:

> I don't understand what you are saying above....what do institutions
> have  to  do with great photography?  What makes a great photograph is
> content.  Period.   Not  the camera.  Not who made the photo.  Not the
> lens  used.  Not what film was used. Not weather some bozo at a museum
> will hang it on a wall or not.

I'm sorry, I didn't clearly define my terminology: I was referring to "Great" with
a capital "G," as in "Art" with a capital "A" which is what is 'universally'
accepted as being great or art. That is, it is objective or public "greatness;"
for example, it is what distinguishes a Mapplethorpe from an unknown
photographer's work that may be equally good or similarly, between a child's
drawing of a Campbell's soup can with Warhol's. This "Greatness" is largely
created through publicity associated with institutions whether they be musuems or
publishing houses. However, to regain perspective on the issue, "greatness"
clearly transcends institutions although I can't think of an example to illustrate
the point at the moment...

> Just  for  the  most  part B&W has an immediacy color lacks because it
> abstracts  the  world into tones of grey forcing the viewer to see the
> subject  matter  in  a  non-realistic  manner thus causing, perhaps, a
> greater level of communication.

I was in no way criticising black-and-white practice or making any statements on
its relevance; after all, most of what I do is in black-and-white. I would
hesitate in saying anything so specific about the effect of tonal abstraction
though since I have always found that this is entirely dependent on the subject
matter; what makes a wonderful colour subject can be extremely lack-lustre in
black-and-white and vice-versa.

Furthermore, I have found that discussions on these topics are often far too
polarised - the possibilities in the range of hues in a photograph is large,
spanning black-and-white to toned monochrome prints to various near-monochromatic
colour processes (eg. crossed-processed VPS) to 'standard' colour to
super-saturated colour (eg. landscapes in Velvia, cross-processed E6). With
digital post-processing, hue range can be controlled as a continuum and so, it
surprises me that the black-and-white versus colour argument can be so heated - it
seems as pointless as the art versus pornography argument.

Regards, K.