Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica focometer 2
From: "Gary Todoroff" <datamaster@humboldt1.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 19:26:26 -0800

My experience has been with the first Focometer (not model 2 and not
Quartz). It sits between my V35 and Omega D3. I just plug the electrical
cord into the Focometer from whichever enlarger I am using.

Pros: Consistent timing with the digital readout, down to the tenth of a
second; simple probe that I use to measure a white portion of neg or slide
to give me a fairly accurate exposure; pleasant digital read-out and sliders
for setting time.

Cons: Way too easy to hit the "enlarger on" button, situated mere
millimeters away from the "time on" button - several times, I have started
an exposure, only to look up and see that I accidentally turned on the
enlarger without turning on the timer; the program slider as an analog
storage for your different paper types is not very convenient and does not
seem easy to reset from one paper time to another - very small movement
affects the program setting; the metering cell on the probe is a bit too
large - sometimes the only projected white spot is too small, and the probe
is measuring white, plus surrounding darker areas; worst problem on mine is
the timer on switch - once in awhile it counts down to zero, then resets
back to the 15 second (or whatever) exposure and starts counting down again
with the enlarger light still on. Obviously, something is wrong, but it does
it seldom enough to not allow for easily diagnosing what the problem is with
switch or circuitry.

Hove books gives a good working description of the Leitz Quartz Focometer in
"Leica Darkroom Practice", p58.

Regards,
Gary Todoroff
Tree LUGger