Subject: RE: [Leica] Younger photographers and Leica rangefinders
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 12:03:15 -0600

At 12:39 PM 2/16/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Not necessarily, Eric.  In a former life I studied cartography.  I was in
>the last generation that learned to draw maps with a pen and pot of ink from
>a page full of numbers.  That craft is now completely lost.  Let's hope that

I guess it all comes down to what produces the best results for what we're
trying to do? Just as photography put engravers out of business of doing
pictures for newspapers in the late 19th century, and 35mm killed Rollei
and 4x5 at newspapers, maybe digital will too. But the art of photography
will be with us for many years, simply because the absolute image quality
will stay ahead of digital, or film manufacturers will go out of business.

Note Nikon has just gone its own way with making digital cameras, instead
of relying on a partner like Canon does with Kodak. And Nikon fianally has
come up with a way to do it without breaking the bank. Color me (or
grayscale me?) surprised!

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Truth means credibility. It is highly personal. We recognize it in images
that resonate with our own sense of correctness.

- -William F. Kuykendall