Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica M5(metering)
From: Malcolm McCullough <blayne@mbox2.singnet.com.sg>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 15:41:40 +0800

>Osterloh in his Leica M book compares the M5 and M6 metering systems.
>Accordingly,and here I copy his Table from p. 41:
>                                                    M6
>M5
>
>Diameter of measuring spot             12mm                  8.5mm
>
>Measuring range(cd/m^2)               0.25-32000           0.06-32000
>
>Exposure values
>           1--18                    -1--18
>

>Clearly, the CdS meter of the M5 is more sensitive than that of the M6.

Are these measured with an f2 lens? The M6 officially measures to EV-1 with
the Noctilux and 100 ASA film (ie 0.06cd/m^2) though I find the meter to be
more sensitive in practice.
Because it is a TTL meter, I think that it is more informative to quote ASA
and shutter speed. So you would quote the M6's sensitivity as 1/2 sec with
100 ASA film. The f-stop doesn't matter, so the EV is meaningless. Does
anyone agree with me? Does anyone see what I am trying to get at?

Regards,
Malcolm