Subject: Re: [Leica] B&W and forever the iconoclast
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 21:58:48 -0500

At 06:23 PM 2/15/99 -0800, you wrote:
>I see, so B&W is the holy grail of films...ehhh!  Gosh, those modern fools
>like Galen Rowell, Annie Leibovitz, et al  they should know better than to
>use color slide film.  After all they are only famous and worth near
>millions of US$.  Ashame.....
>
>Peter K
>
>	(Tina, just opinion.  Is there another photographer aside Ted (nice
>line by the way Ted) that is still alive and feels this way, refusing to use
>colors nowadays?  Doubtful.)

Ted uses color - when it's appropriate.  So do I, but I prefer black and
white.  I have a slide show that I have given to at least 20 audiences
comparing very similar black and white and color photographs.  At the end,
I ask which people prefer.  8 out of 10 prefer black and white.  All of my
photographs are of people.  The only people photographs I can think of
where color adds anything are indigenous people in their native costumes
and then you're photographing the clothes, not the people.  I hope to have
a web page up tomorrow illustrating this.

Tina