Subject: Re: [Leica] Uses of M series - M2/M6 rangefinder spot brightness
From: "Simon Pulman-Jones" <spulmanjones@lbs.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 20:48:27 -0000

Robert and Bill,

Thank you for your replies - though I'm a bit disappointed to discover that
the poor M6 viewfinder/rangefinder contrast compared to earlier M's is a
feature of the design rather than a problem on my camera. After I sent the
post I found several old posts on the (wonderful) LUG archive which
confirmed this 'problem' with the M6. Maybe I'll have to test just how
collectable the M6 0.85 is and trade it for an M3 - and maybe also an M5,
which I assume must have the same level of rangefinder spot contrast and
brightness as the M2.

I must admit I'm surprised that my 40 year old M2 is so superior to one to
the latest and most recently designed M6 models in this respect. Are the M3
and the M5 going to give me more of what I like in the M2 finder?

And as a further matter of interest, are there any others of you out there
who are using your M's for documenting social research? As I mentioned in my
original post I am an anthropologist working in settings such as therapeutic
communities for abused children, and photography in such contexts is fraught
with ethical and practical problems. As I said, the M2 has proved a real
help with this - I'd be very interested if any of you have similar
experience.

Simon Pulman-Jones
London