Subject: [Leica] 1,4/80 and 1,4/75
From: imxputs <imxputs@knoware.nl>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 99 15:52:38 +0100

These lenses have a slightly different performance. They are from the same
optical family tree that encompasses the 1,4/50 Summilux-M, 1,0/50 Noctilux-M,
1,4/75 Summilux-M and 1,4/80 Summilux-R. The 1,4/75 and 1.4/80 are NOT
identical in their optical formula. The assertion that they are identical
(some earlier post on the LUG) is not true, but may be inspired by the fact
that the 2,8/90 M and R versions share the same optical system. The 2,8/135 M
and R versions also are identical in their optical parts.
My observation that the 1,4/75 at full aperture has a better performance than
the 1,4/80 is valid and is supported by the fact that the lens prescription is
different. The family resemblance can be seen in the fact that all four
members exhibit low to medium-high contrast at full aperture. More recent
Leica lenses in the 1,4 and 2,0 classes show much higher contrast at the full
aperture setting. Ten years ago I would have given these lenses higher marks
than today. Since the 1,4 and 2,0 ASPH family we are in a different game as
far as full aperture performance is concerned.

Erwin