Subject: [Leica] Leica M questions
From: Mitch Zeissler <zeissler@wt.infi.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 17:58:41 -0500

I've been a photographer since the mid-60’s (pro for awhile about ten
years ago), but I was not prepared for this.  I was just given two older
Leica bodies and four lenses by my father in-law, who purchased them in
Germany many years ago.  They are as follows:

++++++++

- - Leica M3 #751120 body in good mechanical condition (black vulcanite is
peeling in several places and the range finder is very dim).
- - Leitz 35 mm f/3.5 Summaron #1181059 (needs professional cleaning).
- - Leitz 50 mm f/2.0 Summicron #1232756 (needs professional cleaning).
- - Leitz 135 mm f/4.5 Hektor #1383024 (filthy; needs professional
cleaning).

++++++++

- - Leica IIIf RD ST (Red Dial, Self Timer) #699131 body in fair condition
(shutter needs work and black vulcanite is peeling in one tiny area).
- - Leitz 50 mm f1.5 Xenon #375943 (beyond filthy; lens may have light
scratches in the rear element).

++++++++

I am very reluctant to touch these gorgeous cameras until they have been
professionally serviced.  However, my wife and I are not in a position
to put a lot of money into these wonderful gifts at the moment, but we
will be better able to do so a little later down the line.

My questions are these:

- - With the issues I described above, what would be a rough guesstimate
for getting all the hardware in good working order?

- - Can the vulcanite be replaced?

- - Can the M3 range finder be brought back up to factory specs?  I have
seen the RF on the M6 and am astounded by the clarity of the image; can
the M3 get back to that?

- - Does it make sense to put the money into getting them photo worthy?

- - Would it be better to just leave them as is and purchase a new M6?

- - Also, any dates on manufacture of the above equipment?

Any information would be much appreciated!

Mitch Zeissler