Subject: Re[2]: [Leica] here's a concept, Summilux vs. Noctilux
From: Harrison McClary <mcclary@iname.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 13:28:54 -0600

>>A lens that comes to mind here is Canon's 24mm f/1.4L, which
>>has both a DOF and handholding edge over a 50 f/1.0 lens. It's
>>fun to drive because the lack of visible shake through the viewfinder
>>convinces you that you can shoot under a pile of coal in a dark cellar.

> Hi Al-
>
> is this lens an LTM lens? Or is it a Canon FD thing? I just received a
> 28/2.8 Canon LTM that I used on my M4-P;

The  Canon  24  1.4L  was made in both FD and the current EOS mount. I
have the 24 1.4L EOS and I must say that it is great companion for the
Noctilux.

I  have found this lens sharp, free from flare...much more so that the
Leica  24 elmarit-R I had, and FAST...with VERY slight falloff at 1.4.
Note here I am a serious user...do not run tests on gear other than to
be  sure it works. I do not deliberately shoot a blank wall to see the
fall  off,  just know that in my style of shooting I do not notice the
fall off...I can see the Noctilux fall off in the contact sheets.

Oh  and  the lens aint cheap, but still comes in under the Leica costs
for the most part. Appx. $1200 new.

As  far  as  shooting  under  a  pile  of  coal in a dark cellar...Yes
possible with this lens. :)

Best regards,
 Harrison                          mailto:mcclary@iname.com
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto