Subject: Re: [Leica] Viewfinder 31/4
From: Harrison McClary <mcclary@iname.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 10:51:46 -0600

>>    Don't be too quick to take Capa's comment literally.  He could have
>>very well meant it metaphorically. That is, "CLOSE" could mean emotionally
>>or personally. Being "close" to the subject may not mean feet or metres.
>
>Actually, I think that's exactly what he meant. Too many photographers are
>not careful in their compositions. They tend to shoot too loosely. Include
>too much extraneous detail. Not peel enough layers of the onion...is that
>enough metaphors? :-)

Also remember that for the most part Capa was a war photographer and being
close was the nature of the business to get good photos.  SO he was
probably speaking somewhat litterally, of course he got a little too close
and blew himself up on a land mine......

Harrison McClary
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto
Preview my book: http://www.volmania.com
mail: mcclary@iname.com