Subject: [Leica] Viewfinder 31/4
From: lucien <lucien@ubi.edu>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 19:13:30 +0100

In the LHSA Viewfinder Vol. 31 Nr 4 1998
in which there is the wonderful article from Erwin Putz
(Lens design criteria an Considerations - Bravo Erwin !),
I found an interesting opinion from Mr.Scott Brennecke
about the M6 0,85 versus 0,72:

	QUOTE
	As I held one version in each hand, I alternated looking
	through first one viewfinder and then the other.
	After a time, an inherent advantage stuck me about the
	original 0,72X viewfinder. Precisely because of its lower
	magnification, I felt compelled to move closer for better shots.
	Looking through the newer 0,85X viewfinder from the same
	distance, I often felt close enough already.
	I concluded the lower magnification may likely play a
	significant role in making my photos more appealing.
	I believe it was Robert Capa who said, 'if your pictures
	aren't good enough then you aren't close enough'.
	By its very nature, a Leica viewfinder physically draws
	you in closer and closer as you frame the image.
	Could it just be that the original 0,72X viewfinder
	is more effective at subtly drawing you in close ?
	UNQUOTE

IMO, this may be true only if you use both cameras at the
same time.
Personally, when I do that, I prefer the 0,85X.
;-)
The closer to life-size the better.

Lucien