Subject: RE: [Leica] R8 flash metering- was Olympus OM cameras
From: "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@istar.ca>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 18:17:47 -0400

Peter:

I think you and Eric are not talking about the same type of metering.  My
R8 has TTL flash and a flash meter that will meter through the lens a test
fire without exposing any film.  This can be used with any type of flash.
You plug the sync cord in or put a flash on the hot shoe, put the camera in
F for flash mode and then you can take a reading by pushing the depth of
field preview.  What it does is it stops down the lens to the working
aperture and then fires the flash and uses the spot metering sensor to give
you a reading which is displayed in the viewfinder and the display on the
back of the camera.  This reading is displayed in stops over or under and
you move the aperture until it says zero to get the correct exposure.  I
have some studio flases and it makes it very handy to do meter that way
since I do not have a handheld flash meter.  I just put a grey card in the
scene and meter of it.

Regards,

Robert