Subject: Re: [Leica] R4--A bad Camera?(long)
From: "Peter C. Palmieri" <palmieri@cybernex.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 11:19:06 -0500

Hi Bill--

Thanks for the information which I have snipped--

>Have you tried changing the viewing screen.  The later screens for the R5 -
R7
>are much brighter than the original R4 screens, and can be used in the R4.
>You might also try the all micro prism screen as I find the split image
>distracting.

Next time I am in NYC, I will stop by one of the good Leica stores and try
different screens. This is a good tip--thanks.  Changing the screens appears
to be too much of a challenge for my all-thumbs' hands. I will ask for help
at the store. Maybe I should just call Leica to see whether they will do it
for me. One way or the other I will be giving different screens a try.

>As far as R4 reliability there are many good ones out there.
>Try to get one over 1.6 million.

The number on mine is 1,625,238 which I bought new some years ago.

> Make sure the camera is working properly in
>all modes.

Just had it brought up to Leica specs by Leica in NJ. But, the "sloppy
sounding" clunk of the shutter and mirror slap still bothers me.

>Are the foam light seals still good around the back door
>and film reminder window?

Had a new one installed. I had never realized that foam seals were missing.
:-(

>Even the most minor meter or mechanical repairs seem to run at
>least $300 from Leica.

That is just about what I have just paid to get the work done there--not
counting taxes!

 > The reason for this is that anytime the camera needs
>to be worked on, it requires a total teardown of the camera.

Now I understand why these look like bargains on the used market.

 >As long as your R4 is working, things are great.  But given a choice
between
>an R4 and R5 or later R cameras, the R4 will always be the last choice
unless
>the R4 is the only one you can afford.

That's the dilemma. I have been in an out of photography all my life and now
with time on my hands, I am getting back to it with some zeal. I have been
trying to determine which camera outfit (s) I should go with to start all
over or stay with what I have and add do dads to those. If I had a good lab
to work with close to my home, I would have an easier decision. Right now I
am using the Leica mostly with a 35mm Elmarit and a Nikon N90S with the
105mm macro. I have a lot of other lenses for these cameras but need a long
lens for some nature photography. A 180 or so. The difference in price
between the Nikon and lenses plus the very useful functions of a data back
for the Nikon has me leaning in that direction. I would not be buying one on
the used market as I don't know enough. But, I am still thinking about it as
I am prudentially certain that the Leica lens will give me better quality
photos--or is my thinking being swayed by the Leica mystique?

>the R4 was known as the camera that almost sank
>the company.

All the time I thought it was I who was at fault and that it could never be
the exalted Leica that had problems. That's why it sat comfortably put away
all those years.
.
>Rather than deal with repairs on early R4's, Leica USA was offering
upgrades
>to R7's to R4 customers with a liberal trade in allowance on the old R4's.

Wish I were paying attention as I would have surely taken advantage of this
offer.

Thanks again for your help.

Peter in NJ