Subject: Re: [Leica] friday guideline/rule?
From: "Bryan Caldwell" <bcaldwell@softcom.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 22:21:16 -0800

>>>I would like to add a thought that perhaps an easier rule than "no
dealers" or
"post on Friday" might be "no more than 1 post per week per member" with "no
more than x number of items."<<<

Once these kind of regulations start, they won't stop. What purpose does it
serve. I just don't understand why people can't skip over posts that they
don't want to read rather than impose regulations.

I can understand that it was not the purpose of this group to become a
billboard for high volume dealers who do not otherwise participate in the
day-to-day activities of the LUG. But I don't think that this has ever been
a problem. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me. If we had a situation
where major dealers that no one knew were posting pages and pages of
inventory lists things would be different - but they're not.

The function of a list like this is that it facillitates communication
between people who have a common interest in Leica cameras. That doesn't
mean that we're all interested in all the resulting posts. I'm an M user and
really not interested in any of the R discussions. I'm not proposing that we
split into two lists or alternate days or anything else. If I see an R post
I generally skim it quickly or just skip over it. My personal interests
should not dictate the composition of the LUG.

Once restrictions like the one proposed above are in place, the free
exercise of information on this list will have been curtailed. Next, someone
will propose only x postings per week that don't contain the word "Leica."
Or, only x number of postings per week that mention Ted's underwear! We'll
have "approved" topics and "forbidden" topics. Then the LUG really will be
in danger of falling apart. Limiting or restricting "for sale" postings at
the level they occur here is no different than limiting or restricting any
other kind of posting.  We all enjoy Leicas and, I assume, we all like to
keep an eye open for good deals as well as keeping an eye on market forces.
When we sell things, we like to offer them first to those we know will
appreciate them. By imposing regulations seemingly for their own sake, we
deny ourselves these opportunities for no reason.

If you have something photographic to sell, post it on the LUG. I'll thank
you for the opportunity it gives me.

Bryan