Subject: [Leica] Re: 50/2 R and Flare
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 15:09:27 -0800

At 02:40 PM 2/9/99 -0800, someone wrote:

>>>I was not satisfied with the three 50 mm Summicrons (the latest version) I
>owned in terms of flare control,<<

I own two 50mm Summicrons. A late DR Summicron and an early 3-Cam 50mm R
Summicron. With the R lens, I have tons of slides with the sun contained
within the frame, and just outside the frame. There doesn't seem to be any
unexpected flare. Flare on this lens is not something I've ever thought or
worried about. It's performance seems exemplary.

If you allow the sun to shine directly on the front surface of any lens,
you will get some level of detectable flare.

I've never shot the DR into the sun so I have no comment, yet.

Jim