Subject: Re: [Leica] 35 Summilux
From: Bill Welch <welch@pressroom.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 1999 23:38:05 -0500

At 09:04 PM 2/7/99 -0600, you wrote:
>Surely someone has opinions of and advise concerning pre ASPH 35 Summilux ?
>
>tom

Tom, I've owned a couple of the older 35 Summiluxes. Shot wide open it has
a unique quality with soft highlights, a glow almost (I don't mean to
trigger a "Leica glow" debate). The sharpness-is-everything crowd does not
much care for this lens for just that reason, though stopped down a couple
stops it holds its own with the 35 Summicron. If you're looking for real
sharpness at 1.4 speed, you may like the 50 Summilux better, and pair it
with a 35 Summicron. But the 35 'lux as a character and charm all its own.
If you are interested in this lens I suggest you try one out, and give it a
while before you make up your mind.

Regards,

Bill