Subject: Re: [Leica] V35 filtration question
From: Bill Welch <welch@pressroom.com>
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 1999 14:58:09 -0500

Mary, they both will work with the Leica color module, but trial and error
is usually required too.  The single filtration method is nice and simple
for finding relative paper grades, but it is not speed corrected. You have
to adjust times as you add or subtract magenta.  The Ilford chart is more
speed matched -- you can change printing grades while keeping relatively
consistent printing times. The Ilford chart, by the way, closely matches
the speed-matching VC chart Leica USA recommends. Basically the Ilford
chart rounds the numbers to the next magenta or yellow value ending in 0 or
5.

Using the Ilford or Leica scales is nice if you're changing grades a lot,
or if you're searching for the right contrast grade for your negative.
However, your printing times will be significantly longer, or you will have
to use a larger aperature. So experiment, as always.

I hope this is helpful.

Bill