Subject: Re: [Leica] R8 Winder Woes
From: RBedw51767@aol.com
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 1999 05:23:53 EST

David:

Sorry you experienced this.  I understand the disappointment and frustration.
I can relate to what happened with yours.  I have owned 2-R8's and I got rid
of my first one because of exactly what you described.  The motor winder would
not work.  Both the body and the winder were returned to Leica but the repair
was not effective.  I have been informed by a Leica person that there was
extensive work done on second generation winders to solve the problem.  I
recall a post on this subject months ago that there may have been some changes
on the R8 contacts in order to connect better with the winder.  The second R8
and winder that I purchased has functioned fine.  However, your problem may be
resolved by cleaning the contacts on both the winder and the body.   A pencil
eraser always works for me as long as the dust is removed.

David, this does not solve your problem.  If the winder came from old stock I
would recommend that you return it to your dealer in exchange for a new one.
Good luck.

Bob Bedwell

<< Hopefully, someone can cheer me up! I got the Mototr WInder for my R8
tonite
 at 4pm. I stopped into the local camera shop for some batteries and made my
 way up to the ice arena.  I had to shoot ice hockey and my idea was to use
 the R8/Winder/35f2 for fan shots. I had a large hole in the front page to
 fill. Well, I put the batteries in the winder and attached it and NOTHING!
 When I attach the winder with the camera ON, the motor works. If the camera
 switch is turned off and then back on, NOTHING..KAPUTT!. Now if I drop a
 roll in, the camera jumps to life and functions, until I shut off the
 camera. When I switch the camera on, NOTHING..KAPUTT!

 Is this normal for this winder? Seems like a problem to me! Anyone out there
 seen anything like this?

 Anyway, I had my Canons and everything worked out fine, except the home team
 was drubbed.

 Dave
 dstrang@up.net