Subject: Re: [Leica] Enlarging lens
From: "Joe Stephenson" <joeleica@flash.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 09:36:42 -0700

Dear Martin,
I appreciated the point you make regarding the inability of b&w paper to
respond to red light, making an apo lens unnecessary. Therefore, I wrote to
Rodenstock with just this question. Here is the reply I received from Don
Nagle:

1st - These questions should be directed to Bob Solomon @ HP Marketing
973-808-9010 because we are not the Photography division. We are the OEM
division for Industrial Optics.

I can tell you that a non-chromatic corrected lens WILL CAUSE unsharpness in
Black & White photos & color fringes in color exposures. Without getting
into Optical theories it basically has to do with the frequency of light
waves as they pass through various types of glass. Black is the abscence of
color and white consists of the entire visible spectrum. Therefore it goes
that white is the defining principal in black $ white photography and
consists of all wavelengths. Therefore, lenses that correct for all 3
primary wavelengths (APO) will increase sharpness in any application whether
it be B&W or Color...

As Don suggests, I will try to follow up with Mr. Solomon and share his
response here.
Sincerely,
Joe Stephenson