Subject: Re: [Leica] Buying R8,need advice on lenses conclusion
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 23:24:29 -0800

Alan Ball wrote:

> Mark Rabiner wrote:
>
> > I'd hate to go up against Leica in the 180 department. This is the focal
> > length if I remember right commissioned in its first higher speed form
> > for the famous '32 Olympics for Leni R. So its a perhaps established
> > lineage.
>
> Mark,
>
> AFAIK it was the Zeiss Olympia which started the 180mm f2.8 lineage at
> the Berlin games, and that was later than '32 ('36 ?, not sure here).
>
> Alan

Thanks for clarifications- I thought it might have been 2.8- should have
gone for it. The better question to someone in the peanut gallery who
undoubtedly knows is:
IF this is am optical formula that had its innovation then and continues
today in ....form? Has it panned out? Has it become a universal classic
or was it tightly and effectively patented? I wouldn't mind knowing if
someone who know wouldn't mind typing it out. You know: "Oh yes! the
double gaussian triplet better known as the..."
Mark Rabiner