Subject: Re: [Leica] Buying R8,need advice on lenses conclusion
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 20:53:30 +0100

> The camera cost the same as the top of the line Nikon or Canon's it's
> that high faluted macro 100 that blows the price out of the water.

Mark,
And the 180mm f2.8 apo-elmarit (next on my buying list), and the 19mm
f2.8 elmarit, and the new 50mm f1.4 summilux and the 80mm f1.4 summilux
and the 35-70 f2.8 vario-elmarit aph and etc, etc. None of those are
'competitively priced' (in fact between 2.5 and 5 times more expensive
than the competition's equivalent offers depending on the lens), but boy
are they tempting ;-/

On the camera side, the R8 is in the same price range as top end N or C,
but better not compare feature lists. And then where are the R mid-range
options (the F100-EOS5 range) ? Where has the R-E gone ? Why are the
90mm and 35mm elmarits abandonned ? BTW, a battered looking 2nd hand
Wetzlar years 90mm f2.8 elmarit is more expensive than a brand new canon
EF 85mm f1.8 USM or than a new Nikkor AF-D 85mm f1.8...

But that's OK with me now, I've reached a zen state preventing me from
nervous breakdown when i think of what I'm about to spend and what I
have spent already. A state of Leica bliss, I suppose... :-)

Alan