Subject: Re: [Leica] B&W output from digital devices
From: Joe Berenbaum <joe-b@dircon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 01:13:34 +0000

At 03:02 PM 2/3/99 +0100, you wrote:
>I love grains in B&W (and also in colour).  Will it be possible to visualise
>beautifully distributed grains as you see in the works by Ralph Gibson and
>Michael Kenna, to name a few, with digital devices?  I used to scan my film
>(Neopan 1600 or Tri-X) at 2700 dpi and print it with Fuji Pictrography 3000
>at 400 dpi.  As you imagine, I could see no grains.  Well, I may be
>completely wrong in trying to visualise silver grains with digital devices.
>BTW, I do like inkjet printouts in some settings (e.g., on paper for water
>painting).  You can sometimes have very interesting results. ;-)
>Mikiro Mori

I'm very much a newcomer to scanning but scanning 35mm film for printing 7
x 10" on an Epson 700, when I look at the prints I can see a very different
look with different films. I have probably only done 20 or so black and
white scans so far, but I have noticed that the grainy quality of TMZ is
very obvious, HP5+ still looks like a 400 ISO grainy black and white film
compared to XP2, which looks very different, much smoother and often not so
interesting (to me). Whether I am actually seeing individual grains or not
I don't know, but I expect I will know sometime soon. I am glad the
character of the film comes through this process.

Joe Berenbaum