Subject: [Leica] WOW....in 50 years....
From: "Kotsinadelis, Peter (Peter)" <peterk@lucent.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 08:51:47 -0800

With all the discussion of digital vs. film I thought the LUGs would be
interested to see what was thought of by others in the heart of their field
10-50+ years ago.  It may give us an idea of what we may sound like 50 years
from now.

"This 'telephone' has too many shortcomings to be seriously considered as a
means of communication. The device is inherently of no value to us."
		--Western Union internal memo, 1876.

"Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible."
		--Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

"Airplanes are interesting toys but of no military value."
		--Marechal Ferdinand Foch, Professor of Strategy, Ecole
Superieure de Guerre 1911.

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
		--Thomas Watson,  Chairman of IBM, 1943

"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
		--Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of
science, 1949

"I have traveled the length and breadth of this country and talked with the
best people, and I can assure you that data processing is a fad that won't
last out the year."
		--The editor in charge of business books for Prentice Hall,
1957

"We don't like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out."
		--Decca Recording Co. rejecting the Beatles, 1962.

"But what ... is it good for?"
	--Engineer at IBM's Advanced Computing Systems Division (1968)
	  commenting on the microchip.

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
		 --Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of Digital
Equipment Corp., 1977

"640K ought to be enough for anybody."
		-- Bill Gates, 1981

"Sometimes when you're too close to something, you can't see past it."
             -- Peter K., member LUG group 1999