Subject: Re: [Leica] MY Question
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 07:55:08 -0800

Gary Whalen wrote:

>Dear Leica,
>
>    Givin that you have based your entire history on trying to present an
>"image" of absolute quality how can you possibly continue to send out R-8's
>that represent the lowest in quality control?
>
>    I am not saying that the R8 is a bad camera.  I love the R8 - WHEN IT
>WORKS, but it doesn't seem to work - out of the box.   I have purchased
>three, sent back one for good, sent back another once and sent back the
>third twice.  The problems have ranged from the rewind mechanism not
>working, shutter not releasing, film advance stopping at some premature
>random point less than the amount of shots available, meter not working and
>absolute camera shut down.
>
>    I love the camera, hate the quality control and if it wasn't for your
>lenses I would leave Leica in a second.>>>>>>

Hi Gary,

I trust you posted this note directly to Leica also and not just to the
LUG. Considering the problems you've had with three cameras and even though
we know Leica monitor the LUG, this situation demands it go directly to
Leica, Solms.

Hopefully they'd have the courtesy to respond on your private line. If you
haven't sent this to Germany may I suggest you do so immediately, complete
with  serial numbers, dates and other pertinent information. You have
nothing to loose by doing so.

And possibly a great service for all of us using R8's.  Thank you.
ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant