Subject: Re: [Leica] Enlarging lens
From: RBedw51767@aol.com
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 05:43:20 EST

Dominique:

The entire marketing strategy of Leica is a mystery to me.  It appears to me
that it would cost so little for Leica to develop an enlarger lense of high
quality.  I must believe there would be as much demand for a fairly priced
enlarger lense as there is for a Leica Loupe.   If I am crazy enough to pay
$3000 for a Leica lense you can bet that I would pay up to $1000 for a high
quality enlarger lense.  Most Leica nuts that I know place high value on the
boxes, as well.

I propose that we buy Leica.....do I have a partner?

Thanks for the note.
Bob

<< >
 #########
 Further comments :
 * focotar-2: same results as a rodagon, but without the ergonomy and the
 luminosity of the latter (f:4.5 against f:2.8).
 * focotar wa : "plastic" building and same luminosity and ergonomy as the
 rodagon. Results (my subjective evaluation) : so-so in the edges of the pix
 in comparison with a rodagon or a focotar-2.
 Both the lenses are still for sale as spare parts but the Leica prices are
 now equal to craziness.
 Why Leica Camera does not build a Focotar-3 "fine art" ? I enumerate the
 conditions : all metal building, 2.8/50mm apo, same ergonomy as a
 rodenstock or a schneider, price around 900 USD and a classy box with a red
 dot (Have you seen the boxes of the focotars ? A marketing disaster).

 Dominique Pellissier >>