Subject: [Leica] Enlarging lens
From: Edward Kowaleski <edwardkg@umd.umich.edu>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 21:37:36 -0500 (EST)

I've been very interested with the discussion of enlarging lenses that
has been going on.  Years ago, Ken Hansen told me that he believed the
best 35mm enlarging lens was the 50mm Focotar-2.  I've had one for over
ten years and have made comparisons with comparable Nikon and Schneider
lenses by making prints from the same negative.  I see discernable
differences in the lenses and find the Focotar-2 to be superior in terms
of over-all sharpness and contrast.

I've have never compared the Focotar-2 to the APO Rodenstock and I would
be very intterested in hearing from anyone who has made such a
comparison.  The Focotar-2 is a sweet lens but as I get older I squint
more and more through that grain focuser and I wonder if a 2.8 Rodenstock
wouldn't make life easier than the Focotar-2's f4.5.

Most of my printing is in color using a old Durst RP40 processor on which
I've changed gears to use it with RA chemistry.  The enlarger is a Super
Chromega D with a Dichroic II head.  I would appreciate any comments.

Ed Kowaleski