Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Palm Pilot and the LUG
From: "JeffS" <segawa@netone.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 12:48:20 -0700

It can also be set up to synchronize with MS Outlook Express, so that you
can read and compose LUG message on the Pilot, but do the actual send and
receive from Windows. This is a very cheap way to gain most of the benefits!
The only setting in OE that needs to be changed is:

"Make Outlook Express my default simple MAPI client" (yes)

At least with my Pilot Professional, you're limited to 100 emails at a time.
Whether you'd want more, given the small Pilot screen, is something that
each LUGnut will have to decide for him or herself :-)

I'd like to see the Tandy Model 102 concept revived and updated for the
internet era! Like the Pilot, it ran forever on ordinary dry cells and
avoided the fuss of mechanical storage devices. A cellular modem would make
it fun :-) The battery run times of subnotebook and larger WindowsCE devices
seem to be a closely guarded secret, and are presumably, an embarassment. To
date, the only the original Macintosh Portable could run longer than me! I
ought to have one onhand again soon enough: At 1/100th the original price,
it was hard to pass up. It was probably dumb of me, but I once owned a
preproduction sample of the Portable (marked "Property of Apple Computer"
and bearing no serial number or FCC data) but sold it cheap.

Jeff