Subject: Re: [Leica] Gradation of bw print material: which is steeper?
From: "Joe Stephenson" <joeleica@flash.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 17:34:03 -0700

Dear Peter,
"Steepness" I take to mean contrast. High contrast papers have steep density
curves; lower contrast papers have more gradual density curves. Howevfer,
papers can vary between makers, and between batches. And if your paper was
remainders," there may have been a reason. Old paper can behave abnormally,
and that could be what causing your problem. If conditions are good, modern
papers provide consistent performance. I just finished an afternoon in the
darkroom. I used three brands of paper, some  RC, and some FB. An exposure
that was right for one brand or type of paper was usally about the same when
changing papers. One test strip, and your are set. I've learned to junk
paper if it starts to act funny.
Sincerely,
Joe Stephenson