Subject: [Leica] Film most used
From: Peter Niessen <niessen@ifh.de>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 20:48:13 +0100 (MET)

Hi there,

these are the films I use:

I hardly shoot color negative since it depends on the lab. Only last
half year I found a shop which is connected to a decent lab who seem
to know their business and do not goof on the prints. Thus there is no
statistical significance of C41 film.

About 1.5 years ago I got to know the czech (how do you spell that in
English?) efke films. They are produced after Adox recipies (and are
said to have more silver in the emulsion) . They were really an
eye-opener. Before, I used Kodak TMX,Y,Z in the Kodak TMAX developer,
but this was not as satisfying as the ,,old'' technology films. These
czech films and Rodinal give a great range af greys.

For dark situations inside, I stick with Kodak TMZ, either developed
in Rodinal at an index of 1000/31 (remember ZX-81 graphics?) or 1600
with Tetenal Negafin.

For color slides, I use the usual K-14 stuff from the company with the
K. The anticipation for the letter in the mailbox is the best about
it.

However, I do think that one should stick to few film/developer
combinations. So these are my b/w favourites:

efke 25 - F09 (Rodinal compatible)
TRI-X at 160 - F09
TMZ at 1000 - F09
TMZ at 1600 - Negafin

I have to try higher speed of TMZ with Negafin in future. Let's see
where there's the limit.

Cheers, Peter.

P.S. Is this question for favourite films a market research of some
company?