Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Re: Polarizing Filter
From: Mike Gardner <mikeg@neca.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 22:24:47 -0500

George Huczek wrote:

> At 06:18 PM 27/01/99 -0500, Tina wrote:
> Stick with black and white and use M's
> >and you won't have to worry about filters!
> >
> Was this a joke without the smileys Tina, or were you being serious?  Don't
> you use any filters at all with B&W?  Just wondering ...

  George,
I have found that the M lenses are so well "corrected" (probably the wrong
term?) that I find the tones and tonal relationships in prints are fine without
any filter usage for B&W.  When I first got my 35 Summicron-M a few years ago,
it came with a nice little B+W yellow filter.  I shot a couple of rolls of B&W
and the negs (outdoor landscapes and buildings) were the devil to print.
Couldn't get the tones to fall right and the prints just looked weird.
Got rid of the filter and I got terrific results there after with the 35 and
any of my M lenses.  Your mileage may differ of course.
Mike Gardner